After years of using the cloud contact management dashboard service Gist, I found my account and all data gone. After using the service of Gist since early beta, updating accounts, contacts and building an actual contact dashboard, today I find not even an active account. Poof. Here is the scenario:
- Aug 24, 2009 I get invited to a new service and screencast it. One of the highest viewed screencasts I have.
- Oct 14, 2009 I write about possible competitors in my blog archives
- Somewhere in 2010 I think I activate the Gist plug-in for Google Apps and mail. Yes Rapportive comes along and beta it in function and look, but I leave both in place.
- Dec 2010 I write about RIM moving to buy Gist
- Mar 23, 2011 I screencast and compare Plaxo to Gist and say that Plaxo didn’t beat them in contact management.
- May 30 2011 I mention on my blog that Gist is ceasing support in Google Apps after the RIM purchase
- Somewhere in June I got an email saying I hadn’t logged on to Gist. Well I was using the Google plug-in and didn’t need to hit the dashboard. That email didn’t make it to the Priority Inbox for TheSocialNetworker.
- I log in today to merge another contact list and the account is gone.
So what does this mean? RIM is purging old users from the system in preparation of something new inside the BlackBerry devices? Gist is scaling back after the purchase and is cleansing some data? Somewhere along the way they had a Terms of Service you must log into your cloud data every couple months via the site to keep it active?
I do not know the answer to any of these but I am debating importing data into the service again at this point.