Google has begun offering custom URLs for your Google Plus profile. Setting it up is quite simple, but you are limited in the naming convention. Here is all that you need to know.
I went through the process to claim my own custom Google Plus profile URL and it would not let me freehand the entire URL naming convention. Google will utilize the first and last name in your profile and then will ask for random characters if your name is not unique. Here is the screenshot of my setup
Here are the key points they leave you with and how to get your own Google Plus custom URL
When you claim and use a custom URL, you must follow the Google Terms of Service, the Google+ User Content and Conduct Policy, and the Google+ Pages Additional Terms of Service (if applicable), and the following policies:
- We reserve the right to reclaim custom URLs or remove them for any reason, and without notice.
- Custom URLs are free for now, but we may start charging a fee for them. However, we will tell you before we start charging and give you the choice to stop participating first.
- Don’t include words and phrases in your custom URL that would violate the Google+ User Content and Conduct Policy
If you violate our policies or terms of service we may take a variety of actions, including suspending your access to Google+ and your use of custom URLs.
Notice that they can take back your URL, remove it entirely or even charge for them long term. I cannot see Google trying to manage issues around payments, refunds and claims for a service like this. Or how you would even attempt to claim a URL that infringed on a trademark.
Here is what you need to know to get your own custom URL
Getting your custom URL through Google+
To get your custom URL:
Sign in to Google+. Place your cursor in the top left corner for the Google + main menu and then click Profile.
If you’re eligible, there will be a banner notification at the top the page. Click Get URL.
You’ll see the custom URL you’ve been approved for, which you aren’t able to change. You may also need to add a few letters or numbers to make it unique to you.
Click the box next to “I agree to the Terms of Service” then click Change URL in the bottom left corner.
You may be asked to verify your account using your mobile phone number. To do this, you’ll need to:This URL will be linked to your Google+ Page or Profile, so be sure everything is exactly the way you want it. Once your URL has been approved, you cannot request to change it. When you’re certain, click Confirm choice.
- Enter your mobile phone number when prompted, then click Send code in the lower left corner.
- Check your phone for the code that was sent to you.
- Enter that code in the box on your screen, then click Verify in the lower left corner.
Have you begun the process to claim your Google Plus profile custom URL? Let us know what it is in the comments. And make sure to circle me while you are there.